The Recycling Centre is operated by the Recycling Committee of the Saturna Island Community Club with the goal of diverting reusable material from the Hartland Land Fill in Saanich. Beer, pop and wine bottles, boxes, and cans help pay for the operating costs of the Centre. The disposal of other materials such as glass containers and mixed paper is paid for by Recycling. The CRD provides a grant in support of the Centre’s operating costs. Plastic pop and beer rings are now accepted again. Thanks for your patience as recycling sources are ever changing at this time.
The centre asks that recycling be clean and especially clear of food waste.
Hours of Operation: Wednesday and Saturday 10:00 to 12:00 noon
Clean cans, aluminum foil, plastic, waxed cartons (milk, ice cream, soup) all go into one bin.
Materials accepted include the following clean material:
- Mixed waste paper, newspapers and glossy magazines
- Metal - both packaging and scrap metal
- Paint, both cans & aerosols
- Styrofoam, polyurethane foam and polyethylene foam
- Cans, both steel and aluminum
- Glass containers (windows and drinking glasses no longer accepted, no ceramics)
- Empty oil and antifreeze containers, with the tops on, please
- Beer, wine and liquor bottles – all caps removed Thank you for your donation!
- Pop and water cans & bottles with caps removed Thank you for your donation!
- Plastic packaging - plastic products (toys, chairs)
- Soft plastic film & bags that stretch and don’t crackle
- Tetra Pak containers (juice, milk and soup)
- Gable top containers (juice and milk)
- Incandescent light bulbs, fluorescent tubes, UV and germicidal lights
- Household batteries
- CD / DVD 's
- Audio and videotapes
- Hard and soft cover books
- Printer & toner cartridges
- Fabric & shoes
- Small electronics
- Brita Filters
- Level Ground packaging is Upcycled
- Small propane canisters
- Soft plastics that crackle, ziplocks and bubblewrap including stand up pouches, chip bags, candy wrappers, cereal box bags, coffee and produce net bags
Blue Boxes are available for $15.00
The Free Store at the Recycle Centre accepts clean, usable items. These are available to anyone needing such items. A donation can be made but is not required. Visit the Free Store and see what is available and the kinds of things you might want to donate.
Annual Garage Sale, with proceeds going towards specific community projects, is held on the Saturday of the May long weekend, at the Recycling Centre. Watch for the notice for dates to donate your reusable items, and then come to shop for incredible bargains and perfectly good treasures.
Volunteers are always needed to help sort materials and do numerous other tasks at the Centre. Going to Sidney? Volunteer to take items collected to Return-It or other drop offs. To join this group of volunteers check at the Recycling Centre, phone Jody Bavis at (604)736-4761 or e-mail email@example.com.